12/14/11

Bell Pepper Soup

One thing that often frustrated me during cooking was my lack of kitchen appliances. My cheap immersion blender almost caused short circuit the last time I used it and my mixer is making noises that he should not make. Since I cannot live without making soup or chocolate mousse I needed to do something. I saved money for a few months and now my new favorite thing has arrived! A Kenwood food processor that can do practically anything. Yesterday I used it for 4 different things: making juice, slicing vegetables, blending my soup and mash my potatoes! My new best friend!
Enough about this thing; I could talk about it all day but I will not do that to you. Some people who know me will wonder why on earth I would eat bell pepper soup. I generally do not like bell peppers and usually I would never buy them. But my housemate had some left over and I hate to throw things away. I love soup and I remembered that my mom made a lovely sweet pepper soup some time ago. And ofcourse I had to try out my foodprocessor. It is a lovely soup with a velvety texture and from now on this is my new favorite soup!

Ingredients:

4 bell peppers, preferably red or yellow, cut in small cubes
1 carrot, finely sliced
2 stalks of celery, sliced
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 liter of chicken stock
50 ml cream
10-20 g of butter
1 bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

Heat some butter in a large pan. Add the onion and bake for a few minutes. Add the garlic and celery and bake again for a minute or two. Add the carrot and peppers and mix well.
Add the chicken stock and bay leaf and bring to the boil. Boil for about 20 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Remove the bay leaf and puree the soup.
Add the cream to taste; I think I added less than I put in the recipe. Add salt and pepper to taste.
If you want to freeze the soup leave out the cream.


No comments:

Post a Comment